Everything we do at Kids Who Care is about inspiring students to love learning, to be self-reliant, resilient and accountable. We want to show kids that they are important and valuable; to love learning to read, to calculate, and experiment; to learn to care for others; and to care for their community and their world. This way of teaching has a name, it’s called Service-Learning.
Service-Learning is a teaching method that combines classroom instruction with meaningful community service. Authentic Service-Learning…
- Incorporates service activities into academic studies
- Provides concrete opportunities for youth to learn new skills, think critically and test new roles
- Involves “youth voice” from the beginning
- Provides structured time for students to think, talk, or write about their experiences
- Provides students with the opportunities to use newly acquired skills and knowledge in real-life situations in their communities
- Extends learning beyond the classroom and helps foster a sense of caring for others